Veterans Memorial Park
Veterans Memorial Park
We love spending warm and sunny days at Veteran’s Memorial Park, right off of Redwood Road and 7800 South in West Jordan. While the entire park is 100 acres and offers many play areas and pavilions our favorite place to play is at the Wild West Jordan Playground. This playground is so much fun and it’s huge! It covers nearly half an acre and reaches as high as 35 feet. My 3 year old, Liam, could spend all day climbing and exploring all that this playground has to offer. As the name suggests, the playground is western themed and is set up like a town with a water tower and storefronts greeting you at the entrance. There is a large play structure with lots of levels and slides, a tire swing, bridges, a rock climbing wall and more.
This playground has an awesome back-story, it was funded by 100 companies who donated their money, services or time and by school-aged children who donated 400,000 pennies. It was built over a period of 10 days by both child and adult volunteers from the West Jordan community. The name of the park itself was even voted on by West Jordan school children. This playground was created by and for the community and the hard work and dedication definitely paid off.
In addition artwork and items around the playground illustrate some of Utah’s history. You can find Brigham Canyon Mine, trains at Promontory Point, Saltair and many more. Each time we visit we discover something new.
The playground is fully fenced with two entrances/exits and has a tot area for two to five year olds and a larger play area for the five to 12 year olds. My 3 year old plays in both areas of the park without too much trouble but I make sure to stay close by in the area for older kids. My 10 month old, Parker, loves swinging on the swings but honestly spends the majority of the time in my arms or in the stroller.
The park isn’t very stroller friendly but with a little muscle you can definitely make it work. The playground doesn’t offer a lot of shade but there is another playground nearby (with a fun zip line) that offers shade and a covered pavilion with restrooms. There are also drinking fountains and picnic tables near the playground. We love to bring lunch with us so we can have a picnic!
Another thing we love about the Wild West Jordan playground is that it’s located right across the street from the West Jordan library! We love to play on the playground and then make a stop at the library (or vice versa) for some block stacking or story time before heading home for the day.
It’s one of our favorite ways to spend the afternoon!
Thanks for the article Kyra!
- Nearby Bathrooms - Located in pavilion to the north of the playground
- Lots of benches near the playground
- Playground is under video surveillance to help keep kiddos safe
- Water fountains are turned off for the Winter but run in the warmer months
- In addition to the Wild West Jordan playground, the Veteran’s Memorial Park also offers various other playgrounds, tennis courts, baseball fields, a badminton court, basketball hoops, volleyball courts, the West Jordan Historical Museum, a peace garden and a military service monument. It neighbors the Gene Fullmer Fitness and Recreation Center, the West Jordan Outdoor Pool and the West Jordan Library. It really is the perfect place to spend a sunny day!